Unclaimed Funds

      Unclaimed funds are funds held by the court for an owner or recipient who is entitled to money, but who has not claimed ownership. Most unclaimed funds arise when dividends (assets) are distributed by the case trustee to creditors pursuant to settlement of a bankruptcy case, but the property goes unclaimed. All unclaimed funds paid into the court pursuant to 11 U.S.C. Section 347(a) shall be deposited in the United States Treasury.


      Creditors desiring to recover funds previously submitted to the treasury as unclaimed may do so by filing (1) an Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds, (2) a proposed order, (3) a W-9 Form or Payee Information & TIN Certification (AO213P or AO215) form, and (4) Other Supporting Documentation. The Application and Supporting Documentation must also be mailed to the United States Attorney (see application for mailing address). For complete instructions and links for filing an Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds, click here.

      To search Unclaimed Funds, click here to obtain access to the Unclaimed Funds Locator database.  Select "IANB - Northern District of Iowa" from the dropdown list and enter the applicable search criteria.