Voice Case Information System (VCIS) is an automated voice response system that allows the caller to obtain information about a bankruptcy case via telephone and free of charge for long-distance callers. This number gives callers free access to certain information concerning bankruptcy cases filed in this district after November 30, 1988. The 1-866-222-8029 telephone number connects to the court's Voice Case Information System (VCIS) which allows a caller to enter a search criteria using the keys on their telephone and then hear information about a selected cases.
Instructions for use are listed below and are also offered over the telephone. If the caller knows the procedures to follow, the instructions can be bypassed and the caller can go directly to a name search. The system provides the following information (as applicable):
- Case Name(s)
- Case Number
- Bankruptcy Chapter
- Filing Date
- If there may be assets
- Attorney for Debtor
- Name of Trustee
- Name of Judge
- Current Case Status
- Next Hearing Date, Location, and Time
- Discharge Date
- Case Closing Date
Instructions (Click here to download a pdf copy):
- Dial 1-866-222-8029 for VCIS.
- At the prompt, enter 1 for English or 2 for Spanish.
- Next, enter the two letter state abbreviation for the court’s information you are interested in using the touch tone keypad of your telephone (see diagram below). For example, for the District of SC, press 72 (SC). You can also press # for a listing of courts to select.
- Touch 1 for VCIS help; touch 2 to search by case number, touch 3 to search by participant name, or 4 to search by participant SSN. After the prompt, enter the CASE NUMBER, participant NAME, or participant SSN.
Note: Names are given to the computer by pressing the keys on a touch-tone type telephone that correspond to the letters in the name. Use the "1" key for the letters "Q" and "Z", and skip any characters that are not letters, such as spaces, apostrophes, and dashes.
a. If the case is filed by an individual, enter the last name followed by the first name. For example, to enter the "Joe O'Riley", the following keys should be pressed:
O R I L E Y J O E MNO
b. If the case is filed by a business, enter the business or company name. Suffixes such as "Inc." or "Corp." should be omitted. For example, to enter the name "Joe's Subs, Inc.", the following keys should be pressed:
J O E S S U B S JKL
PRESS THE # KEY to tell the computer that you have finished entering the name. If more than one case is found which matches the name entered, follow the prompts to select the appropriate case.
- LISTEN and the computer will read information about the case.
- If a user knows the procedures to follow, the user can enter search criteria without listening to the full prompt.