You are here
Frequently Asked Questions are provided as a reference. To view questions more specific to your needs, click on the applicable tab. The default landing page lists all questions.
How do I check the file size of a PDF document?
1. Open the document in Acrobat.
2. Select File ⇒ Properties ⇒ Summary OR File ⇒ Properties ⇒ Description. Control D is a shortcut.
3. The File Size (in kilobytes or megabytes) of the document will be displayed.
PDF documents should be 20,000 KB (20MB) or less. Please keep in mind that this is the maximum upload size for all documents contained in your filing. You may need to reduce your resolution (200 dpi or less) and use black and white or grayscale and NOT color.
Many readers will not be able to open a single file larger than 10MB. Please consider breaking the file(s) into smaller files (less than 10MB). Otherwise, you may be called upon to provide copies outside of CM/ECF or to Amend your Filing (this time uploading smaller files).
How do I clear the temporary internet files or cache from my browser?
Please refer to this website for instructions to clear the browser cache.
How do I secure (flatten) PDF fillable forms?
Certain versions of Adobe Acrobat and other PDF editing software allow the user to save a fillable form after data has been entered, and to edit that information at a future date. If a form with saved data is filed electronically (through CM/ECF) without first securing the electronic file by "flattening" it, the data entered can be easily removed or altered by an unauthorized third party.
Attorneys and parties using the pdf-fillable versions of the official bankruptcy forms from www.uscourts.gov should flatten the pdf file before filing it with the bankruptcy court through CM/ECF. To "flatten" the file, "print" the form to PDF (using the print dialogue box) and file the resulting document.
Follow the steps below to “flatten” a completed PDF fillable form:
- Open fillable form.
- Add appropriate data.
- Select File.
- Select Print.
- Select the PDF printer. (The Adobe PDF printer is installed automatically with Adobe Acrobat. Numerous free PDF printer drivers are available for download from the Internet.)
- Select OK.
- Specify location to save the printed, “flattened” version of the form.
- Select Save.
- File the “flattened” form in CM/ECF.
What scanner settings should I use?
- Use a black and white setting, not a color image or grayscale setting
- Use OCR or Editable Text
- Do not use a graphic format such as bitmap or jpeg (*.bmp or *.jpeg)
- Set the scanner resolution to 300 dots per inch (dpi); the document will lose quality at a lower resolution (i.e., 100 or 200 dpi)
When I search on a topic, how can I receive results that exclude information found in Opinions?
Enter your search topic in the box located in the upper right corner. If you receive results that include information found in the Opinions, Click on the Advanced search link.
Check the Basic box and the FAQ box. This will limit your search to the content within the website, excluding Opinion content. Click the Advanced Search button.
You can click on any result and be taken to the appropriate section of the website.